Monday 1 March 2010

Picasso and my Dad


I found this little book on Picasso, tucked away on one of my book cases.  It has some lovely plates, I'm inspired by the pallette of colours and the combining of paint and collage.  I've always liked the strong sense of structure in paintings in the Cubist style.




The book is a Methuen imprint from 1957 and it's got my Dad's name inside.  I imagine he bought it later than that, in the 60's when he was an architecture student at Canterbury.  Like him, I have a love of structure, though mine is expressed through the structure of cloth, hence the weaving.  I was given one of his drawings recently.  Chosen from a selection, I chose this one as the language of drawing closely echoed my own; distilling the image down to essential lines.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...