Thursday 23 September 2010

Feeling sad

c1978

Today I was given a box of papers that belonged to my Dad.  In it was this picture that I did in, I guess, 1978.  Oh to be able to create as freely as I did when I was five!

I also found this poem today in Staying Alive:

Poem from a Three Year Old



And will the flowers die?


And will the people die?


And every day do you grow old, do I
grow old, no I’m not old, do
flowers grow old?


Old things – do you throw them out?


Do you throw old people out?


And how you know a flower that’s old?


The petals fall, the petals fall from flowers,
and do the petals fall from people too,
every day more petals fall until the
floor where I would like to play I
want to play is covered with old
flowers and people all the same
together lying there with petals fallen
on the dirty floor I want to play
the floor you come and sweep
with the huge broom.


The dirt you sweep, what happens that,
what happens all the dirt you sweep
from flowers and people, what
happens all the dirt? Is all the
dirt what’s left of flowers and
people, all the dirt there in a
heap under the huge broom that
sweeps everything away?


Why you work so hard, why brush
and sweep to make a heap of dirt?
And who will bring new flowers?
And who will bring new people? Who will
bring new flowers to put in water
where no petals fall on to the
floor where I would like to
play? Who will bring new flowers
that will not hang their heads
like tired old people wanting sleep?
Who will bring new flowers that
do not split and shrivel every
day? And if we have new flowers,
will we have new people too to
keep the flowers alive and give
them water?

And will the new young flowers die?


And will the new young people die?


And why?


(Brendan Kennelly)

Life's eternal questions, still unanswered.  Life's creative path, still journeying.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...