Wednesday 14 September 2011

Eleri Mills


I've just discovered the work of Welsh artist Eleri Mills.  I love her lyrical landscapes.  like me she stitches in to her work, for her by hand where as I machine.  I read that she makes no distinction between fine art and fibre art.  I wonder what she calls it though?  I struggle to name mine.  With it being a fusion of art and craft, I feel strange calling my work 'art'.  I often refer to 'framed pieces' to get around the fact that they are not paintings but ink with collage and stitch.  I also call myself a 'textile designer' having come that route though I no longer design textiles.  I need a label! How about 'Craftist'? There's still such snobbery between 'high' art and 'low' craft.  I feel I straddle both. Anybody got any suggestions. Helen Hallows ................... (polite answers only please!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen Hallows said...

Thanks Chloe...I'll try it out over the weekend!

Anonymous said...

(Oops, sorry about that, just tried to edit and accidentally deleted it!)

Oh I adore Eleri Mills' work :) Unfortunately I've never managed to see any in real life though, I'd love to one day.

I think some work which would be called craft, because of the processes involved or suchlike, could definitely also be called art, it's all rather complicated isn't it! I also struggle with what to call my work/ myself, and am a bit afraid of calling myself an artist. I think you can definitely call your work art and yourself an artist :)

Anonymous said...

If you want to see some of her work, I work in Galeri Betws Y Coed in North wales and we have some of her Originals :)type it in on google.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...