I'm now offering free P+P if you buy four coasters from my Folksy shop. Any four, not just these. What are you waiting for?!!!
Friday, 28 January 2011
Thursday, 27 January 2011
Here are the first few designs I've created for Spring Fair. It is strange being back on the computer but I really enjoyed creating them! Looking forward to bringing in some more hand drawn elements and marrying up my paperwork, craft and design. My beautiful Wacom graphics tablet has just arrived. We're a bit scared of each other at the moment, but I'm sure we'll get to know each other soon.
Tuesday, 25 January 2011
Today I find myself sat in front of my computer wondering what robots get for their birthday! Such are the thoughts of a greeting card designer.
Which reminded me that we do love making robots in this house. We sift away boxes of junk and turn them into much cherished robots. Of course the boys join in too!
Watched Robots again recently. Such great characters and mind bending detail.
Monday, 24 January 2011
Over the weekend I was given an album of family photos. Here's me, circa 1977. I looked deep into my own eyes and was blown away by life. You know, L I F E. All those moments from then to now that have shaped me, built me and made me who I am. I can't remember that day, or that time. I just was. And instead of questioning and worrying and trying to be everything that I am not, I have decided that I will just BE. I am, and that is quite enough!
Sunday, 23 January 2011
Thursday, 20 January 2011
I have just found out that I've been selected to exhibit at Sock at Loughborough Town Hall on March 26th and 27th. It's a contemporary makers showcase. It'll be my first show of 2011, ahead of my exhibition at the Opus Gallery in April, and a good timescale for getting some work done. I'm beginning to regret the panic I had in the first week of January that nothing much was going to happen this year.....it's already looking very busy, which is just how I like it!
Tuesday, 18 January 2011
Blossom & Bill by Isak
Is it just me or is there a beard trend at the moment? And why do I want a hat with a beard so much?! I really love all things Isak at the moment, they hit the spot for Scandinavian design.
ps. I just found this. Love it! Anyone for a fake beard and cake party?
Monday, 17 January 2011
Last commission of 2010
I've fallen into 2011 with jet lag. Not the real, sunshine associated, I've-been-on-holiday jet lag, but the one that finds you waking up on a dreary January morning, not really knowing what happened to December or the last couple of weeks. I wish it was the result of some crazy lifestyle choices, but no, real life took it's toll and the dark days of winter have been spent ill, surviving Christmas, celebrating New Year (okay, that led to some days recovering from self induced grogginess), and getting back into normal routines of child care and school run and catching up on a zillion promises. I seem at last to have mustered the will to embrace the New Year and hope soon that I'll tap into all the creative thoughts I've been storing up.
So, plans I'll be putting into action this year are:
1. To live holistically. For me that means to keep juggling all the aspects of life, but to beware that I also need balance. Part of this means taking time to look after my health. So, that leads to:
2. Exercise. I've started running, I'm off to Zumba class and I'm allowing time to meditate. Mind, body, spirit.
3. Acceptance.....oh, this one pops up every year! You know, that saying about having the grace to accept what I cannot change....well, trying to apply that to my life!
4. Work. Apart from having just said that I've spent the last six weeks in a foggy bubble, I don't switch off from work much. I love it, live for it and it defines me. I get very frustrated that the visual arts are so unsupported in our society and feel like an economic freak as we bumble along from one creative opportunity to another. So, I'm getting my work life in order. That means returning to designing. I'll be working with a surface design agent again and I'm now obsessed with Print Pattern.
5. Work.....see it takes up a big section of the Venn diagram of my life.....I will still be aiming to build on my accomplishments from last year and carry on exhibiting and selling art and ceramics.
6. Earth. The sudden mild weather has had me back out in the garden with children and chickens. Oh, I've missed being in the garden. I've started a clear up, dug over a bed and started fantasising about my veg plot. Oh yes, these are the fantasies of my late 30's!!
7. Children. Cherish them and enjoy these days. Littlest chap starts nursery in September. Big chap is getting so big, so clever, charming and handsome. I still wonder where they came from!! Time trips past, and truth is I struggle with all the demands of family life. They, my beautiful boys and husband, are the greatest challenge I have ever faced.....and the greatest joy. Strange to have to write it down to remind myself but I'm prone to forget how lucky I am.
So, cards laid on the table......2011, bring it on!